From the website:
INDEX is an integrated suite of desktop and web-based scenario planning tools for neighborhoods, communities, and regions. The tools operate on the desktop as an ArcGIS extension and on the web as an open source GIS application. INDEX was introduced in 1994 for land-use, transportation, and environmental planners in public agencies and design firms, and as a teaching tool for university instructors. Its primary functions include:
* Assessing community conditions.
* Designing future scenarios in real-time.
* Measuring scenarios with performance indicators.
* Ranking scenarios by goal achievement.
* Monitoring implementation of adopted plans.
INDEX is being developed by Portland, OR-based Criterion Planners.